2016년 11월 23일 수요일

Halloween is for Horror Movies

I want to talk about a special experience I had this Halloween. I didn't want this day to pass by just sitting in the dorm room and doing nothing. My only Halloween memory is playing a boring 'Pinning the Tail on the Donkey' game with some Canadian teachers when I was 11 years old. I had heard that here in Japan many people wear scary costumes and do interesting stuffs, so I headed to Kawasaki where the Halloween parade was held.

The problem was my phone broke down immediately after I got there. I couldn't care less about what was going on in the street. I was only concerned about my phone. Feeling blue, I decided to watch a movie at a nearby theater. For the Halloween day special, a 1970's Italian horror film, Suspiria, was being shown. I've wanted to watch it since before and now was my chance. 
 
Although I usually prefer movies that make a happy and bright impression (my favorite movies are Disney), I really enjoyed this one. The story is kind of typical. An American girl joins a ballet academy in Germany. She experiences some mysterious things, such as the murder of her classmates. At the end, she finds out what has been behind all the incidents.

This movie was like a nightmare, but a very beautiful one. Girls were running away constantly, killed brutally, blood everywhere... Even these horrible scenes were so sophisticated. Every scene was beautiful. I liked the melody in the background too. The delicate but frightening sound doubled the mysteriousness of the movie. Later I found out it's considered one of the best soundtracks in the horror movie history.
It was spooky coming back home alone in the dark. The fact that my phone didn't work made my way even more scary. Besides, the situation of the main character was kind of similar to mine. She had started living in a foreign country, joined a school, made new friends and stayed in a dorm. I suddenly began to feel suspicious about my surroundings. I was like: 'All the people here in Tsurumi are nice, but they must be hiding something from me.' Fortunately, I got home fine. Watching a horror movie alone on Halloween in a strange land: this day, I will never forget.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can find the information about this movie here:
 
And you can listen to the stunning soundtrack here:

 

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기